Every day at school is packed full of learning.
When a child misses a day from school, it's gone forever.
Our target is for all our pupils to achieve at least 96% attendance.
There is a clear link between attendance and achievement. Regular attendance is the most important factor in a child reaching their full potential. 90% attendance actually means that your child has been away from school for half a day every week! If your child has 90% attendance for a whole year that means that they have had nearly 4 whole weeks off school in a year! That equates to 19 days or 80 lessons!
What should you do?
BRING YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL EVERY DAY ON TIME
Contact us on 0116 233 84 11
Text us on 07981 916518 and we will try ring you back
AS SOON AS THERE IS A PROBLEM
We promise to:
- We will reward good attendance with class raffle prizes.
- We give a weekly attendance certificate worth 10 privilege points for 100% or 5 privilege points if below to the highest attending class.
- Each half term silicone wristbands are given to children celebrating their good attendance of 96%+ or their excellent attendance of 100%.
- We give two £20 Amazon vouchers at the end of each term for good attendance and punctuality.
- We award two £50 Amazon vouchers at the end of the academic year.
- We will support you in promoting good attendance and punctuality.
- We will do our best to contact you on the first day of an absence by telephone.
- We will contact you regularly until your child returns to school.
- We will contact you if we have any concerns over attendance and punctuality.
- We will also contact you by letter if we have not been given a reason for absence.
- We will be there for you if you contact us about issues that may be impacting on your child’s attendance. We will do our best to support you and find a solution to the problem.
- We will request evidence if attendance is below 90% as classed as persistent absence.
- We will closely monitor with any families that have below 95%.We will hold a legal panel meeting with the local authority Educational Welfare Officer for families of concerning attendance
If it is necessary to have a medical appointment during school hours please try to arrange it so that your child is absent for only part of the morning or afternoon.
We will also require a evidence of an appointment in order to record the absence as medical.
Routine dental and doctor appointments should, where possible, be made after school.
Please remember, with your permission, we can administer medication in school.
Since September 2013, government legislation prevents Head teachers from authorising term time absence, except in the most exceptional of circumstances. We know that, at Hazel Community Primary School, we can count on parents to value their children’s education and not request term time leave of absence. If your child has unauthorised leave of absence you may either be issued with a Penalty Notice of £120 per parent per child (discounted to £60 if paid within 21 days), or, your case could be referred by the Local Authority directly to the Magistrates’ Court.
- We will define exceptional of circumstance for you:
“The fundamental principles for defining ‘exceptional’ are where requests are rare, significant, unavoidable and short. NAHT believes that these new guidelines support existing government policy on school absence. They will give head teachers and parents a consistent and reasonable definition of ‘exceptional’.”
- We will request evidence from families of booking arrangements, medical evidence from GPs and or any documents to back up your request.
- We may issue a Penalty Notice if you fail to provide evidence of an exceptional circumstance.
- We may issue a Penalty Notice for unexplained long term absence
Working together to improve attendance!
Below is a link for our A-Z of Attendance at Hazel Community Primary School
School attendance Matters
- School Attendance July_2019
- Leave of Absence Request Form